Traeth Coch, also known as Red Wharf Bay, is located on the east coast of Anglesey, Wales, between the villages of Pentraeth and Benllech. It is a wide sandy beach with a large tidal range
In 1170, a battle between the Welsh and Viking raiders gave the bay its name after they left the beach soaked in blood.
There are tales of witches, known as the Witches of Llanddona (who were most likely 'outcasts') who settled in the bay.
Every year, the Red Wharf Bay Sailing Club have a dinghy race, taking place from Beaumaris to Traeth Bychan. The race is over 14 miles up the Menai Strait and down the Anglesey Coast.
There was once a railway line, the Red Wharf Bay branch line, which left the Anglesey Central Railway at Pentre Berw. It opened fully in 1909, but closed to passengers in September 1930. Freight operations continued until 3 April 1950, and the tracks were lifted during the summer of 1953.