Tooth & Co Ltd
, also known as Bretby Art Pottery, was located in Woodville near Swadlincote, Derbyshire.
Henry Tooth was a skilled artistic potter who honed his skills at T G Green's
in Church Gresley. In 1879 he became a manager at Linthorpe Pottery in Middlesbrough, developing new glazes.
In 1882 Henry returned to Swadlincote and founded the Bretby Art Pottery with William Ault. The pottery was marked simply with 'Tooth & Ault'. They won a gold award at the Crystal Palace Exhibition of 1884.
After four years William Ault left the company to set up his own pottery. Henry Tooth found a new partner, John Downing Wragg; the company became know as 'Tooth and Co'. They used a new symbol to mark the pottery from 1891, comprising of a rising sun above the word 'Bretby'. Together they opened show rooms and exhibited in many large trade shows.
After 20 years Wragg parted company with Henry. The company then became known as 'Tooth & Co Ltd' being directed by Henry and his son William. Henry died in 1918 leaving the company to William, who then ran the company. In 1932, he sold it to Fred Parker, whose family continued to run the business until the 1990s.