Southwell Workhouse is a Grade II listed Victorian workhouse located in Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
It was built as a prototype in 1824 and the Royal Commission on the Poor Law approved the design. The Poor Law they created in 1834 led to the construction of workhouses across the country.
The workhouse remained in use until the 1990's, it's roll in the community changing over the years. When it closed it was providing temporary accommodation to single mothers and children.
The National Trust then acquired workhouse, citing that it is the best preserved workhouse in the country. Restoration work began with the roof in 2000 and is ongoing. Some rooms have been redecorated in in the 19th century style, while others left how they were found.