RAF Nocton is located in the village of Nocton close to Lincoln in Lincolnshire. It was a hospital, used during at least three wars but sadly closed in 1995.
Also known as RAF Nocton Hall Hospital, it started life around 1917 due to the Great War, World War One, when the 18th century manor house, known as Nocton Hall was pressed into service for the Americans as a convalescent home for the officers. Sometime in 1919, after the hall was no longer required, it was sold to William Dennis. He did little with the Hall or the grounds and didn't even live on the site.
Again war changed the fate of the hall, with World War Two in its second year, the Air Ministry commandeered the Hall and all 200 acres of parkland around it. The hall was turned into a 'clearing station' while an Raf Hospital was built in the grounds. In 1943, the US Army took over the hall and hospital. It became home to the Seventh General Hospital unit, who expanded the hospital, also turning the hall into an Officers Club.
Due to the expansion by the Seventh General Hospital unit, it was decided to keep the hospital for the Raf after the war, so in 1945 it became a permanent hospital for civilians in Lincoln and the surrounding areas, aswell as for the military. The hospital had the capacity for 740 beds, and remained under Raf control until 1984.
Once again, the hospital was leased to the US Armed Forces in 1984, this time as a United States Air Force wartime contingency hospital. In 1991 during the Gulf War, around 1300 US medical staff were stationed here, but only 35 casualties ever received treatment at the hospital. After the war, a caretaker staff, of about 13, were left to maintain the hospital although in 1992 and 1993 the hospital was used by the Raf for outpatients.
The Hospital was returned to the RAF in 1995, who had no use for the property. It was used as a private residential home for a short period until it was marked for disposal to property development agencies.
Nothing was done with the site, and it sits empty and neglected. The hall has been a target for arsonists, setting it alight in 2004 and 2005.