Proteus Training Camp is located in Sherwood Forest, close to Ollerton in Nottinghamshire. The site was used as a basic training camp from the early 1940's by the British and American armed forces.
Proteus Camp was then used by the Ministry of Defence until they closed it in October 2004. At its peak, it was capable of holding 1,000 personal, including tanks, artillery and various equipment. Also on site is an assault course, a rifle range and a machine gun range.
Police cadets used the site for various training exercises until they too abandoned the camp. It was then used by a building contractor to store machinery and goods. Now it lies disused except for the local farmer who has use the parade ground and a local airsoft group who use the site for war gaming, where the large number of intact buildings and the surrounding woodland are ideal. Motocross events are held here fairly regularly as well.
The site reverted back to the control of the Thoresby Estate, which is a major landowner in the area and is Ventura’s business partner. Newark & Sherwood district councillors have approved a proposal by Ventura Lodges Ltd who plan to turn the Camp into holiday homes with other facilities including a bar and fitness suite. These homes are not for permanent residential occupation, but the occupiers buy a lodge and pay an annual ground fee to Ventura. A second application for change of land use and the demolition of existing buildings was also granted.
Hallamshires marching band played at Proteus Camp in 1957.