Poole's Cavern, also known as Poole's Hole, is a natural limestone cave located in Buxton, Derbyshire. It forms part of the River Wye system and is a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
There is evidence that the cavern was occupied in the Bronze Age. Some of the artifacts found by archaelogists are thought to have had religious significance for the Romano-Britons. The caves had also been used for metal working.
The caves are named after an outlaw, Poole, who is supposed to have used the caves as a hideout after he ambushed travellers in the 15th century.
The caves became an official show cave in 1853. It was opened by the 6th Duke of Devonshire but it had already been listed as one of the wonders of the Peak by Charles Cotton in 1683. Mary Queen of Scots is claimed to have visited the caves. The Duke had the entrance widened, with gas lamps being added in 1859. These lamps were in-use right up until 1965 when it closed.
It reopened in 1976 when the new owners, Buxton & District Civic Association, installed 100 electric lights