Papplewick Pumping Station is located at Papplewick, close to Hucknall, Nottinghamshire.
The station was built between 1882 to 1884 to help supply fresh water to the city of Nottingham. The building, designed by Marriott Ogle Tarbotton, has outstanding cast iron fittings and stained glass windows which houses two huge beam engines. These beam engines were the last to be built by James Watt & Co. of Soho Works, Birmingham and London. These engines pumped water from a 200ft deep well, dug into the sandstone into a covered reservoir behind the station. The beam engines were fed steam by six Lancashire boilers
After 85 years or service the beam engines were retired when in 1969, electric pumps were fitted in the pilot well close to the pumping station.
The pumping station was then disused but in 1974 a preservation group took over the upkeep of the station, opening it to the public in 1975.