Middleport Flour Mill is located in Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire. The building sits on the banks of the Trent and Mersey canal and is awaiting development into apartments.
The flour mill was built around 1844 on the banks of the Trent and Mersey canal. This enabled the cost effective use of the canal in transporting raw materials to the mill and shipping the final product to customers. The mill changed hands a few times until in 1924 the building was utilised as a bakers known as 'Price and Sons'.
After World War II the bakery and building began to decline, so much so that by the late 1950's the bakery had closed and a small fireplace company set up as a replacement. The Five Towns Fireplace Ltd only occupied the lower floors allowing the rest of the building to become derelict.
By the 1960's the building was taken over by Morrilew Potters. This company utilised the outer buildings and used electric fired kilns, the remains of which can still be seen. The main building was mostly used as storage.
A clothes recycling company set up in the building, with huge industrial washing machines to wash the clothes before being made into rags. These machines have long gone but some clothing remains.
The building now sits empty, remnants of the flour mill are still visible inside with mill stone inserts set into the first floor and evidence of the power drive shafts and engine mountings. The grain silos remain with the chutes in the ceiling of the ground floor.