Maclellan's Castle is located on the south side of the River Dee, in the town of Kirkcudbright,Dumfries and Galloway.
In 1569, Thomas Maclellan of Bombie was granted the site of the Greyfriars monastery, dating back to 1455. He demolished the monastery, and in its place built the castle. He left the chapel which is now Greyfriars Church.
The castle was sold in 1752 to Sir Robert Maxwell, as a ruin, as it had no roof. Maxwell passed the castle on to Dunbar Douglas, 4th Earl of Selkirk in 1792.
Maclellan's Castle was given to the state in 1912, and is now in the care of Historic Scotland.