From The Neolithic To The Sea: A Journey From The Past To The Present
Loxley Chapel
Statistics
Category
County
Coordinates
Grid
Condition
Age
Cost
Church
South Yorkshire
-
-
Poor
1787
-
  • History
  • Gallery
  • Gallery
  • Gallery
Loxley Chapel is located in the village of Loxley, near Sheffield, South Yorkshire. It is a Grade II listed building and has been on the English Heritage at Risk register since 1985, no 1314565.

The chapel was built in 1787, commissioned by Rev Benjamin Greaves, curate of Bradfield, with the first baptism preformed in 1799. It was very popular and by 1821 the eastern bay was turned into a home for the Sunday school. The average service was attended by 200 people. The roof was replaced in 1890.

Sheffield was flooded in 1864 and the victims were buried in the cemetery. Twelve members of the Armitage were lost to the flood, seven are in the grave yard, five children were never found.

In 1872, Henry Tingle Wilde, first officer on the RMS Titanic who reportedly committed suicide in the last minutes of her sinking, was baptised in the chapel.

The chapel closed in 1993, and was bought by a local demolition company. As the chapel is Grade II listed and the graves in the cemetery belong to the families of the deceased, it now sits derelict and forgotten. The cemetery is over-grown and neglected.