Kingsway Hospital was a former asylum located in Derby, Derbyshire. It has now been demolished and plans have been drawn up to build 600 houses on the site.
The hospital was built in1888 in a Neo- Jacobean style, designed by Benjamin Jacobs, based in Hull. The buildings that composed the hospital were grouped symmetrically around four internal courtyards, with corridors connecting large dormitories and wards. The central block housed the assembly hall, with a chapel above.
The hospital was extended in 1891, 1901 and 1902. A bakehouse was built in 1908, with yet more extensions added to cope with the increasing population of the surrounding area.
Some of the patients were allowed to work on the model farm, located in the grounds of the hospital. After World War II in 1948, the asylum was incorporated into the NHS, who modified the buildings and demolished half of the farm, using the rest for storage.
The hospital became outdated and closed in 2009 when a new modern hospital was built close by.