High Marnham Power Station is located next to the River Trent close to the village of Dunham, Nottinghamshire. It was used as a set in the Harry Potter movie 'Deathly Hallows – Part 1'.
Built in 1959, this power station was coal fired and could produce 945 megawatts of electricity.
In 2003 the power station closed with the loss of 119 jobs. The chimneys were knocked down in December 2004 and the boiler house in October 2006. The five cooling towers remain and the land around has been cleared.
E-on are considering using the site to build a Combined Cycle Gas Turbine power station. This would be capable of producing up to 1,600 megawatts of electricity and could be operational by 2018.
The power station's five cooling towers were demolished on 15 July 2012 at 10:00.
Fledborough Viaduct crosses the River Trent and is located close to High Marnham power station.
The viaduct was built in the 1890's, for the Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway, as the crossing of the River Trent at Fledborough was very low in relation to the land around. Sir Robert Elliott-Cooper built the viaduct and completed it by 1896. Nine million bricks were used to construct the 59 arches, 39 on the Nottinghamshire side of the River Trent and 20 on the Lincolnshire side. The span across the river used four 110ft trussed steel girders to bridge the gap resting on twin iron cylinders. These were replaced in 1964.
The viaduct fell into disuse after a derailment at Clifton-on-Trent in 1980. The railway line was closed as it was deemed to be to expensive to repair. Now the viaduct is used as a pedestrian bridge and cycle way.