Heage Windmill is a flour mill located in the village of Heage, Derbyshire. Construction began around 1791 from a rock outcrop close by. It was finished in 1797.
Isaac and Joseph Shaw bought the mill in 1850. They updated the cap by fitting four 'patent' sails with shutters, adding a fantail and running gear, so they could maximise the potential of the wind.
Disaster struck in February 1894, when the mill was tail winded, the wind suddenly blew in the opposite direction, ripping the cap and sails clean off the top of the mill. The mill was repaired, updated again, this time with six sails, which increased the power of the mill and to make repairs to the sails much easier.
In 1919, the fantail was severely damaged in a gale. It was decided that the mill was not worth repairing and the mill was closed. It was abandoned and left derelict. In 1961, the mill was struck by lightning, damaging the sails and fantail.
The mill was saved in 1966, when the first ever building preservation order was placed on it. It was given a Grade II listing and the Council was forced to buy the mill in 1968.
The mill was restored in the 1970's but no attempt was made to open it to the public. In 1989, the Midland Mills Group had an open day at the mill, which attracted over 500 visitors.
The mill was struck by lightning in 1997, causing little damage but the mill was closed until lightning rods were fitted.
The mill was again decaying, the Heage Windmill Society was formed in 1996, with the aim of restoring the mill back into full working order. The work finally started in 2000 and finished in 2002.