From The Neolithic To The Sea: A Journey From The Past To The Present
CAD Warsop

  • History
  • Gallery
  • Gallery
  • Gallery
  • Gallery
CAD Warsop, known as the Central Ammunition Depot covered an area of approximately 100 square miles including Clumber Park and Sherwood Forest.

Formally known as 24 ASD Worksop, between 1940-42, the area was a U.S. Army ammunitions storage depot during World War II. It was renamed CAD Warsop in 1952 the closed in 1954.

Clumber Park alone stored over 60,000 tons of munitions, kept in hundreds of stacks, each of about 400 cubic feet and covered by corrugated iron. Part of its inventory was phosgene and mustard gas. Rail tracks were laid and ammunition trucks were manoeuvred by hand by the Army Pioneer Corps and prisoners of war located in the nearby village of Norton.

In 1941 Clumber was used for secret trials of a trench digging tank code-named MH956 Naval Land Equipment and known as ' White Rabbit No. 6', 'Cultivator No. 6' or 'Nellie'. This tank was 77 feet long, weighed 130 tons, and was capable of moving 100 tons of earth per minute. Winston Churchill, travelling under the alias of ‘Colonel Warden’, visited Clumber in November of that year, to inspect ‘Nellie’ but the project was abandoned soon after.

During the two World Wars, areas of Sherwood Forest were requisitioned for military camps, ammunition stores and training areas. Practice trenches were dug at what is now known as the Sherwood Pines Forest and are still visible today. These pine trees were planted during World War II as soft wood was in huge demand. After the war, Sherwood Forest was used to stock pile unwanted ammunition, until they could be re-used or destroyed. Notices were displayed with warning signs 'Dangerous Ammunition; curiosity can kill you!'.