Burnt Wood is the site of a former quarry, now abandoned, located near Beeley, Derbyshire.
In 1855 a flat bronze axe 5¼ inches long was found at Burnt Wood, it is now in Sheffield Museum.
On the Ordnance Survey map of 1880, it showed a smithy and two cranes are marked at the southern end of Burnt Wood, yet in the 2nd edition shows an active quarry, although it was unnamed. In the early 20th century the quarry had expanded northwards into the area originally marked 'Old Quarries', with a length of tramway, the workings are called 'Burntwood Quarry'.
Burntwood Quarry is a large gritstone quarry with a face up to about 15m high. There are large amounts of waste rubble which is dumped in two main spoil heaps to the west of the quarry, to either side of a trackway. The eastern of the two heaps may well be the earlier, the other replacing it as the space for dumping east of the access trackway became full. The large spoil heaps suggest the main output was dressed products rather than freestone.
There are several interesting features associated with the quarry. At the south-east end is a large sub-circular hollow which is stone-lined with drystone wall retaining. Its purpose is unclear but it may have been a loading bay. To its north is a raised causeway, the remains of either a trackway or tramway.
A short distance further north-west, at the entrance to the quarry, is a roofless building, probably a multi-purpose workshop and store.
Further west are two large stone-built abutments, one to either side of the main quarry access trackway. They are about 4-5m high and very solidly constructed to support a bridge for an overhead tramway. The flat linear bed of this runs from near the quarry face to the abutments and then continues on the other side across the top of the larger of the two spoil heaps.
The Ordnance Survey map of 1879 shows an active quarry which was significantly smaller than today, as well as several 'old quarries' to the north, by 1922 the old quarries had been subsumed into the main quarry, which was of similar size to today. Little work appears to have been done after this date.