From The Neolithic To The Sea: A Journey From The Past To The Present


53°09'21.3"N 1°38'51.5"W
SK 2366062146
17th Century

  • History
  • Gallery
  • Gallery
  • Gallery
Birchover is a village located in the Peak District National Park, close to Stanton Moor, in Derbyshire, five miles north-west of Matlock.

The street descends from Stanton Moor, sheltered under a tree-lined ridge. These were built between the 17th and the 19th centuries from the stone quarried from Stanton Moor.

Birchover is mentioned in the Domesday book as belonging to Henry de Ferrers as well as being worth eight shillings

It is thought that the village was originally sited at Uppertown, close to the present village. The Norman church and the village were destroyed, the stones they were built from lie scattered round field walls and cottages in the neighbourhood. The stocks are still there outside Uppertown Farm, they were restored in 1951 by Mr J C Heathcote, but were probably moved from there original position.

The village hall opened in 1907, for men only, when newspapers were provided. In 1999, following a comprehensive refurbishment, computer equipment was installed in the Reading Room, which is now an official centre of the BBC’s Web wise campaign to provide taster sessions on the internet to local people. The hall is in regular use for a variety of community events.

Birchover is near a number of features of geologic and historic interest, a rock formation called Rowtor Rocks, consisting of numerous tunnels, carvings and caves, several prehistoric monuments, including Doll Tor and a number of stone circles on Stanton Moor.

The village Brass Band, who before they disbanded prior to the outbreak of the Second World War, won third prize in a band contest at Ormskirk. After that, they were proudly known as the Birchover Prize Band. Some of the shine was taken off however when it was later found that there had been only three entrees.

The Red Lion, built in 1680, on the site of a farm, which at that time was probably used as an alehouse. An unusual feature just inside the main entrance of the pub is a 30 feet deep well with a thick glass cover.

At the top of Uppertown Lane is the stone covered tank that was used as the village’s main water source and on the opposite side of the lane is the former Pinfold, where stray animals were kept until their owners reclaimed them.