ABM Pauls is a former maltings, dating from 1870, run by the Associated British Maltsters Ltd, located in Louth, Lincolnshire.
In 1940, the maltings was destroyed by German incendiary bombs. The site was cleared in 1949, paving the way for an American designed mechanical maltings to be built in its place. This was completed in 1952, with Saladin Boxes providing the high volume of production required of larger malt.
A Saladin Box consists of a large rectangular container with a set of vertical screws attached to a crossbar, that move through the bed of barley, raising the barley from the bottom to the top, about 2 or 3 times a day. The oil-fired kilns operated at two temperature levels, the lower for lager and the higher for traditional bitters and mild.
A few notable accidents happened at the maltings, an operator once loaded a kiln with its floor open, dropping 25 tonnes of wet malt which smashed through a roof on to dry malt. A fire in the barley and malt store caused £250,000 worth of damage in 1974.
More silos were added in 1972 when Dalgety took over the maltings. Computerisation was introduced in the 1980's, which resulted in the end of a night shift requirement. If there was a problem at the maltings, an alarm rang in the Manchester office who then called out a local engineer to attend to it.
In 1987, Paul's Malt became the new owners. Their plans to expand production by building three huge new silos were refused in 1989 by East Lindsey District Council.
In the late 1990s Paul's invested 30m in a new plant at Bury St. Edmunds which increased production by 100,000 tonnes. ABM Pauls was then closed and now sits derelict with an uncertain future.